This guide provides information on the best waterfalls to visit near Ubud, Bali. Bali, known as the “Island of the Gods,” is a popular spiritual destination with beautiful temples, rice fields, and natural landscapes, including waterfalls. Ubud, the cultural hub of Bali, is home to many majestic waterfalls. While some popular waterfalls like Tegenungan and Kanto Lampo have become tourist hotspots, there are also lesser-known hidden gems waiting to be explored. This guide will highlight the 15 best waterfalls around Ubud, Bali.
- For those short on time, here are some top recommendations for visiting Ubud:
- Hotel: Adiwana Unagi Suites
- Save Money: Klook Pass, which offers savings up to 45% on access to 40 activities
- Tours: GetYourGuide, and Viator
- Recommended Ubud Waterfall Excursions: Best of Bali Waterfalls, Best Eastern Waterfalls Tours from Ubud, Bali Inclusive Tour, Design Your Own Private Bali Tour, Best of Ubud tour
- Cooking Class: EatWith or Traditional Balinese Cooking Class
- Getting Around: Booking.com for rides or contact Dewa, a trusted driver, at dgrock1140 (at) yahoo (dot) com
- Travel insurance:
- Staying Connected: Airalo eSIM
The best time to visit Ubud for waterfalls is during the dry season, between May and September. This period offers optimal weather conditions with warm temperatures and minimal rainfall. While it is possible to visit the waterfalls during other times of the year, the wet season can bring stronger cascades and currents, making swimming unsafe.
Getting around Ubud is easy, as the center is walkable. Alternatively, you can use taxis or ride-hailing apps like Grab and Go-Jek. To explore the waterfalls around Bali, there are a few options:
- Hire a local driver: Hiring a private driver is affordable and convenient for visiting waterfalls near Ubud or taking a day trip in Bali. You can book private rides on Booking.com or contact Dewa, an English-speaking driver and local guide.
- Book a waterfall tour from Ubud: There are various tour options available, such as the Best of Bali Waterfalls excursion or Design Your Own Private Bali Tour. You can find a full list of Ubud tours online.
- Rent a scooter or motorbike: Renting a scooter is a good option if you have experience driving one. However, ensure you wear a helmet, are comfortable driving in traffic, check if your travel insurance covers scooter accidents, and have a valid international driving permit with a motorcycle endorsement.
Now, let’s explore the best waterfalls near Ubud, Bali.
Whether you have a short or long itinerary, make sure to add these waterfalls to your plans:
1. Tibumana Waterfall: Located 30 minutes from Ubud Center, Tibumana Waterfall is a hidden gem that offers a pristine natural setting. A 15-minute hike through rice fields and a palm-covered jungle leads to the 5-meter waterfall. Visitors can enjoy the natural pool for swimming and photography, but caution is advised near the falls.
2. Kanto Lampo Waterfall: Just a 25-minute drive from Ubud Center, Kanto Lampo Waterfall is a unique waterfall that cascades down jungle cliffs into a natural swimming pool. It provides a tranquil swimming experience and great photo opportunities. To avoid crowds, visit in the early morning.
3. Tegenungan Waterfall: Arguably the most awe-inspiring waterfall in Ubud, Tegenungan Waterfall is a popular attraction that draws large crowds. A 25-minute drive from Ubud Center, it requires a 15-minute hike to reach the 30-meter drop. Despite the crowds, it offers crystal clear waters for swimming.
4. Suwat Waterfall: Suwat Waterfall, also known as Air Terjun Suwat, is a hidden gem with fewer crowds. Located 30 minutes from Ubud Center, it features a picturesque canyon and a 15-meter waterfall. The natural pool is perfect for swimming, and the bamboo raft provides a great photo opportunity.
5. Leke Leke Waterfall: Although slightly further from Ubud Center, Leke Leke Waterfall is worth the visit for its picturesque beauty. It requires a 50-minute drive and offers a peaceful swimming experience. The best time to visit is between 7 a.m. and 12 p.m.
These are just a few of the best waterfalls near Ubud, Bali. Whether you have three days or a shorter or longer itinerary, don’t miss the opportunity to explore these stunning natural wonders.